Grandfamilies Social Worker
The Family Service of Marion and Harrison Counties, Inc.
- Position Summary:
This position provides specialized case management and support services to grandparents raising grandchildren as specified in the “The Healthy Grandfamilies Project.” This program is funded by United Way funds. This project will offer grandfamilies a series of 9 workshops delivered in Marion and Taylor Counties combined with case management services over a 6-month period per cohort. Workshops will be delivered through The Family Service. Social Worker will provide the intervention’s case management component. The Social Worker will be involved in all phase of the project as specified below.
- Reports To: Counselor I
- Personal: The Social Work position requires:
- An interest in people, sensitivity, warmth in relationships, integrity, and flexibility.
- Professional discipline.
- The insight and capacity to mature.
- An interest in the field of casework and the willingness to continue adding to professional abilities and competence.
- Valid West Virginia Driver’s License
- Must be able to pass a criminal background and abuse registry check and prior employment background check.
- Professional: The following requirements are necessary:
- A BSW degree plus experience working with grandfamilies preferred.
- West Virginia Social Work License required.
- Experience in direct practice with individuals, families, and groups.
- A working knowledge of therapeutic theory and of sociological concepts related to the family; and knowledge of individual and family psychology; family pathology; and family centered casework treatment.
- The ability to apply this knowledge to practice.
- The ability to exercise independent casework judgment.
- Facility in verbal and written communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain a positive collaborative relationship among staff.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect participant data using the Granfamilies Assessment Form (pre and post), and Action Planning Form
- Provide follow-up home and phone visits with participants following their completion of the participant workshops to assist them in implementing their Action Plans.
- Refer families to community resources as needed.
- Help families develop Action Plans as part of their participation in the workshop.
- Help families revise Action Plans as needed.
- Assist participants in making arrangements for transportation and child care as needed to facilitate their participation in the workshops.
- Help families phase out of the project at the end of 6 months by helping them transition to community programs services as specified in their Action Plans.
- Attend and participate in statewide, regional, and local meetings and trainings as required to improve the case management component of the project.
- Community services:
- Develop a good working knowledge of all other community resources in the local areas.
- Conduct initial contacts with all other referral agencies to explain and learn agency functions, referral processes, and to develop coordination with all other agencies in Marion and Harrison Counties, and other referral sources as indicated by the caseload.
- Assist in the overall public relations of the Agency within the community at large.
- Physical Demands
The Social Worker must be able to drive throughout Harrison County and make home visits in a variety of physical locations, some of which might require climbing stairs and walking short distances. Manual dexterity is needed to complete office task such as using a computer and copier.
- Work Environment
The work environment is representative of a typical office setting when not in community. The Social Worker will work out of a designated office where noise levels should not exceed a moderate level.